Thursday, November 13, 2008

What Do Words Have To Say?


Imagination
The Power beyond worlds

“A book should be an ice-axe that breaks the frozen sea within us.” -Franz Kafka

This quote is a metaphor which states the bond between books and imagination. “Ice-axe”, The “ice” part makes suggests that what ever is used to break it has to be very sturdy because if you think about it, ice can become really thick and durable, adding that to “axe” makes me think of really strong, powerful weapons. Therefore, creating an impression that we are trapped within our minds, waiting for a creative idea to happen upon us, being the tool to set ourselves free to roam the never ending league of thoughts and beliefs. “Frozen seas within us” is an example, "Frozen" is paralyzing, to be unable to think about or know anything other than what you've been told.


"Frozen" conceals secrets, traps by freezing over and enclosing or falling and entombing something or someone inside. "Seas", for some people are very, very frightening and confusing, they hold many secrets that we only know about through teachings, offers of new things that sound like the impossible may suddenly become reality to an open mind. "Within us" makes me think of the soul. Everyone's souls have fears and all of us cache our most precious thoughts, feelings and desires from one another in fear of criticism, unaware that creativity is nothing without it. These suggestions give me the approach that we are all held in our conscience by the lack of fictional and inventive thoughts. In Basics, what I'm trying to say is that facts are very important but creativity is the point where you hold control in what is. All in all I can explain just what I apprehend when I hear that quote by F. Kafka “Books and literature are the strong weapon that free you from your concealed self.”


The idea of liberating or freeing comes in for people who stick with the facts and only the facts. It can seem like they are captivated in the world of strict, proven information. That’s why fiction can open new doors and awaken the mind to new places and creatures only to be found in the mind. So my shortened term “Books liberate imagination.” can explain what the above quote means to me.


My ice axe is very dear to me. The Chronicles of Narnia are the books that shatter my thick ice as if it were a thin sheet of glass. Narnia is the world where impossible things burst their way into reality and make you stay up all night reading. The author, C. S. Lewis, is a wonderful writer that can turn the most precious biblical stories into page-turners. For me that thought is important because I am a Christian and having the beautiful religion I live by put into a more discreet form is heart warming. When put into less familiar versions biblical adventures can quietly sneak it’s way into the imagination of mind imprisoned people world wide and maybe be the flare that starts their curiosity about the Christian religion . I also enjoy how C. S. Lewis uses Aslan, the Lion as a representation of God. Our god has many names and an example of one is The Lion of Judah. Our God is known to be demanding and “untamed” as Aslan is described. I adore the fact that C. S. Lewis uses fictional characters and supernatural happenings as representations of stories from the Bible.


1 comment:

woodward said...

Great posts. I love the Chronicles of Narnia, and have read through them so many times -- both as a child, an adolescent, and again (a couple of times) as an adult.

I managed to get through the "Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with Gabi & Reeve, but they are a bit too young for the series -- so we only made it partially through the Horse & His Boy, much to my great chagrin.

Keep up the great reading (and posting!)

Mr. Woodward